Baby Care for Adoptive Parents
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Location: IAC Center, 2 Tree Farm Road, Pennington NJ 08534
This workshop is for you if you are waiting to adopt and would like to learn about baby care. In addition, some adoption agencies will accept this workshop as partial fulfillment of your home study requirements (certificates will be issued).
Workshop Facilitator: Jennifer Gamper Meenan, RN, BSN, MSW, LCSW has worked as a pediatric nurse at St. Barnabus Medical Center, a social worker in the Complementary Care Program at Reproductive Medicine Associates of New Jersey, and a Counselor for the Infertility and Adoption Counseling Center. She brings the unique combination of experiences in nursing, social work, infertility and adoption to this specialized baby care workshop for pre-adoptive parents.
Becoming a parent is a joyous experience. Many parents begin to feel excited yet nervous about their various expectations for the first months of having a newborn. This baby care class will help parents begin to feel more confident and comfortable prior to their new arrival. It will allow new adoptive parents to learn in a setting that allows them to feel open to asking questions and meeting others with similar stories.
You will learn about:
- Necessary items for: travel, hotels, first days with infant
- Car seat safety
- What do you need once baby is home, the must haves and items that “would be nice” to have too.
- Expectations for the hospital
- Medical: newborn testing, vaccinations, procedures, care of infant while in hospital
- Psychological: Adoption issues
- Baby Care including: feeding, burping, diapers, swaddling/soothing, bathing, cord care
- Basic medical care
- Understanding your infants needs and handling a “cranky baby”
- Choosing a pediatrician
You will have plenty of time to ask questions as well.
is limited. Pre-registration is required and should be completed at least one week
prior to the event. Payment must be received in order
to confirm your registration. Cancellations must be received
at least three days prior to the event.
Phone 609-737-8750, or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org